Saturday, December 3, 2016

Sweet potato, garlic and herb bread (dairy, soy free)

I found a recipe for potato bread, Italian style with garlic and herbs. This sat in my bookmarks for months till I had the time to try it out. I didn't really stick to the recipe but it became a huge hit. So  I started thinking what can I do to make it better. First I have kilos of homegrown sweet potatoes, so I decided to use them instead of the regular ones. For the herbs I use what I have at hand at the moment.
And this bread turned out really beautifully.


I used one orange sweet potato and a white one. Taste wise I don't think there would be any difference either way, but the orange one gives it a beautiful color.

Ingredients:

2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potato
1 cup integral wheat flour
1 cup brown wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 yeast (live one) + 1cup oat milk, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon brown flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dry oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic
Olive oil for brushing on top

Instructions:
1. Cook the sweet potatoes for about 30 minutes, drain the water and mash them.
2. Put the yeast in a cup of warm water or oat milk. Add one teaspoon of sugar and one of flour and wait until it rises.
3. In a bowl where you mashed the potatoes (they don't have to be completely cooled off) add the flour, salt, olive oil, yeast and the herbs and knead the dough for 3-5 minutes.
4. Leave the dough to rise for about 30 minutes then put in an greased pan.
5. Bake for 30-45 minutes at 150-200 degrees Centigrade.

One final note, this bread goes whit everything salty. It is a bit to strong for jam or  chocolate spreads. What I would strongly recommend is making my homemade pate



No comments:

Post a Comment